Nigeria’s Iheanacho Kelechi of Nigeria moves to break an eight-year goalscoring record as Super Eagles face Sudan today (Saturday) at Roumde Adjia Stadium in Matchday two of Group D of Africa Cup of Nations, Cameroon 2021.
This is as Nigeria look for another win over Sudan to ensure their qualification to the round of 16 early.
Date: January 14, 2022
Time 17:00 local time (16:00 GMT)
Venue: Roumde Adjia, Garoua
● Nigeria and Sudan are meeting for the third time at the Africa Cup of Nations, but it’s their first encounter at the tournament for 46 years. Sudan won the first match 4-0 in the 1963 group phase whilst Nigeria won the second 1-0 in 1976.
● Nigeria have won 10 of their last 12 Africa Cup of Nations games (L2), keeping six clean sheets.
● Following a draw in their opening match against Guinea-Bissau (0-0), Sudan have managed just one win in their last 14 Africa Cup of Nations games (D6 L7), dating back to the 1972 edition.
● Nigeria won their opening game (1-0 against Egypt) to an Africa Cup of Nations for the second tournament running, having failed to win their first match in four of their previous five appearances (W1 D1 L3). The Super Eagles are looking to win their opening two matches to an Africa Cup of Nations in consecutive tournaments for the very first time.
● After scoring in his very first Africa Cup of Nations game, Kelechi Iheanacho could become the first Nigerian player to score in his first two AFCON appearances since Emmanuel Emenike in January 2013.